Monday, August 6, 2012

 

Internet Pollution

This is just a short note about how Microsoft has polluted the internet and made streaming video for the Olympics impossible for Linux users. Linux folks were complaining about this back in 2008 and it's a problem again in 2012.

This is a problem because of Microsoft Silverlight which (naturally) does not work on Linux, even if you use the sorry Moonlight plugin for firefox. You can't stream the video for the Olympics without Silverlight. I'm not even going to bother linking to it, it's an utter waste of time and I would advise Linux users to steer clear of it.

If I can find any alternative methods to watch the Olympics on Linux I'll be sure to post about it here. Until then I'll just watch it on NBC and CTV.

Comments:
Dude--your blog served me a pop-up! Anyway, ditto on Silverlight. I'm getting a gray screen. No error messages or anything.
 
Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for pointing that out. I've removed some of the ads from the blog so hopefully it won't happen any more.
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]